Games Night
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WoDnD

4 posters

Go down

WoDnD Empty WoDnD

Post  Tyrax Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 am

I have looked through the googledocs and have started formulating some tweaks based on all your input .

As you guys havnt played an tabletop RPG before and havnt had me as a gm before I wanted to say a few things to help clarify things Smile

I believe everyone had some confusion last game , which I'm assuming is due to players talking over players or players interrupting other players ( which is expected , but as you guys play tabletop RPGS together it tends to naturally get into a "flow" so it will come in time Smile (i also have an idea to help that along)

I am aware that people were having problems talking to NPCs .. I attribute that to where I was seated ( bad choice by me XD I should have sat in a position so that I wasn't behind anyone. Also the two NPCs you guys came into contact with are not very talkative , its all in their back story which you guys should slowly uncover ( more hints in the next session ) ...
You will find a lot more talkative NPCs in the future.

You guys mentioned about my dungeon , I don't mind if you guys want to not play that or whatever, its just there to solidify reasons for the group to be together ( things within not "just cause a dungeon means you guys have to be together Smile

I haven't DMed with so many players before so I am sorry about the issues that arised Sunday but they should all dissipate as we get to know how we all work in a RP scenario. Smile

Tyrax
Tyrax

Back to top Go down

WoDnD Empty Re: WoDnD

Post  Tyrax Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:27 am

One small thing I forgot to mention ..

I know some of us were confused? About how the elves knew the Chars / didn't know they were the people they sent for. I explained at the end the best I could , most things that don't seem to "fit" are because your Chars don't know something that would make it make sense, its kinda the only way to separate player and character knowledge so that the reactions of the chars are as true as possible Smile

( I do screw up from time to time but I will always make a reason in game why something is how it is Smile ) hopefully with you guys all wanting to DM you will be able to see it from the other side of the table too and that will pretty much solve all issues we had Very Happy

I hope you all enjoyed Sundays game Smile

Tyrax
Tyrax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sim Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 am

I dont think any of the issues were game breaking, its more down to our inexperience. I think I may have given the impression that the issues mentioned were more of a problem than they actually are in the google doc, so just to clarify, I did proper enjoy myself on sunday.

Ive decided my favourite moment was when Dave (cant remember character name, sorry!) completly objected to me trying to slash the knees of the female elf. That was a real Wtf moment for my character. It wasn't until afterwards I realised the extent of how the story could have gone in a completly different direction if any one choice of any character had been different. I hadnt expected that to be the case as everything I have played previously is scripted, as in 'talk to these people who say to do task x to get reward y' or 'go in the dungeon, kill things in a way that the rules tell you to, kill boss and get out'.

My mind is pretty much blown as I now understand there is very little in the way of things you are not allowed to do. Looking forward to sunday!

Sorry if there is any spelling mistakes in there, posting from my phone and cannot be bothered to proof read!
Sim
Sim
Admin

https://gamesnight.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ace_skoot Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:52 am

It was really good. i look forward too how things will development, I want to see mike's character and see how all our backstories affect the flow and shape the story, looking forward to seeing how you bring our characters together in a unified cohesisve unit lol i don't think they like eachother much on first impressions. lol
ace_skoot
ace_skoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyrax Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 am

Yeh the choice aspect of WoD is amazing and that's why I love the system ( also is quite funny at times because the GM has to adapt on the fly, making Chars that didn't exist , towns that never were and the back story of the char or town and the populace ...new story archs etc , but its a lot of fun giving freedom and watching the Chars "live their lives"
Tyrax
Tyrax

Back to top Go down

Post  ric_777 Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:25 am

Yeah looking forward to much to come, ive read through the rules now so ive got my head round the basics now Smile I do have a question mike, i was thinking when an action is happing and you react to it can we "the players" say when the intention is or is it always up to the DM? for example, my char desides to sing a song; I roll to see if he succeds or fails etc when that roll is determined can i say what the result would mean or does the DM automitic makes something up so back to the example my char roll succseds and I know he wants to wou the lady at the bar and if he failed I would come up with a funny fail like instead he ends up wit hthe lady booing him and throughing her drink at him lol im guessing its up to the DM to interveen where he or she needs to in order to keep us to the dm's story but we can have control on what is going to happen at times depending on our dice rolls??
ric_777
ric_777

Back to top Go down

Post  Sim Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:38 am

I'd probably stick with the GM's decision on that sort of thing, as technically the DM controls random events. If players decide what happens on a success or a fail, it would be very easy to underhandedly turn a fail into a desirable end to the roll, as the player may have another event lined up in that eventuality. It may even detract from the fun in some instances. Thats just my thoughts though.
Sim
Sim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ace_skoot Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:02 am

yeah i think I'm with ryan on this one, the GM is needed or anarchy will ensue, I know what ya mean and its fun to be creative but GM keeps us on track and keeps a level of structure that i needed. You should have a go at being GM rich then you can be creative and have a laugh I'm happy to try out more light hearted scenarios, makes it easier for cerise to level up unlike purely combat situation :p
ace_skoot
ace_skoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sim Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 am

For fun times, we need to do horse riding, as I think the most points anyone has in drive is 1. Would be funny for everyone to just constantly fall off their horses.
Sim
Sim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyrax Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:59 am

basically you would say what you want to do (for example Ryan pushing the cone of force to blow the elves from his dragon) he would describe what his char does, the DM would describe the effect (same example) ( the elves being thrown of the dragon and falling through the brothel bell and basques) the problem with the player doing the end result is (as above example) the gm knows the elves are strong enough to survive the drop or maybe its an illusion and they are not really there, ect. also using your example of singing the female may actually hate singing or really like the char even if he does mess up depending on the personality of that NPC which of course only the GM knows at that time ( or she may really be a succubi and pretend to like the singing just to draw sexual energy from you ect)

although i love the idea of freedom in char results it doesnt work well if the game requires some sort of continuity Sad

i played a game system called FUDGE and you could do that.... instead of saying "i try to hit him" you would say "i plow my fist into the side of his skull, his neck jerking from the immense strike and a loud crack fills the room" THEN ROLL but it's only good for MATRIX and kungfu movie style games Sad
Tyrax
Tyrax

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyrax Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:17 am

to make it clearer i would do the effects of an action after it has left your char and i would do the action of the NPC towards your action

you still make all actions of your char , the only time i would take control is if your a werewolf and RAGE etc or [[you say i stay on alert, surveying my surroundings for traps as i slowly walk the passageway]] ---you roll a success against the trap--- i would say "you roll quickly to the side, dust flying as the arrow zips past you , impaling itself in the floor exactly where you had been moments before" thats the only kind of control i have over your chars..... you could then say " my char would have jumped rather than rolled" then i would say "you jump quickly to the side, dust flying as the arrow zips past you , impaling itself in the floor exactly where you had been moments before"

a exceptional success i might say you catch the arrow but you say your char is too cool to catch it and just moves his foot just enough to have it miss by a millimetre. the idea is it's your char and his / her actions are yours. Smile the effect of the actions are then the GMs to describe Smile ( the arrow turns to dust in your hand) or ( you suddenly realise you jumped into a beam of light, triggering the walls to close in arround you) i hope that makes sense.

also there will be horses..... Twisted Evil if your ride them or not is your choice Smile
Tyrax
Tyrax

Back to top Go down

Post  ric_777 Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:21 am

yeah that makes alot more sence Smile thanks for the help mike I just wanted to know how it worked as i was a lil confused haha i just tried to post a bit post but it did not send Sad bad times sigh
ric_777
ric_777

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyrax Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:23 am

ahh that sucks Sad i tend to hit Cntrl + C alot when i make big posts to make sure i dont loose it XD way too much forum gaming experience taught me that XD
Tyrax
Tyrax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sim Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:35 am

Tyrax wrote:ahh that sucks Sad i tend to hit Cntrl + C alot when i make big posts to make sure i dont loose it XD way too much forum gaming experience taught me that XD

Oh I know this all too well. EA forums I'm looking at you, with your ten min inactivity auto log out bollocks!!!
Sim
Sim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ric_777 Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes lessons lernt lol basicly i just made a lil senario for the horse riding thing lol il try and renmber it:)

The adventures all mount their steeds with typical grace and noble determination but Dalamon look on in dispare. Horse riding was something he had never done really before so he observes the others action for mounting. Roll for investigation = fail. Dalamon can not determin much from his kin as more or less they were ready and waiting. Roll to mount horse dexterity and drive = fail. Dalamon places his foot within the foot mount and tries to pull himself up. The horse turns his head to him displaying what can only be describe as a "death stare". Roll for composure minus 3 dice because of not knowing what he is doing and his peeps staring at him = fail. Dalamon startaled by this falls backwards and the horse makes haste. The horse begins to run accross the feild Dalamon being dangled and draged along the grassland, Roll for inisative becaused of complete confustion chance roll = fail, Dalamon is continued to to be dragges accross the feild bumping into mounds are grass and dirt as his peers look on. The horse stops dead and Dalamon is flung forward at great speed. He travels through the air. Roll for inisative using composure plus acrobatics minius three dice because Dalamon has no composure at present = epic fail. Dalamon continue to travel and before he realises he is heading head first for the biggest pile of horse crap within the lines ofthe horrizen. He lands in the horse crap and tumbles for a bit accross the feild. He stands up and dusts himself off. Roll for dignaty critical roll = fail. As he stands covered in grass, mud and crap he proudly walks back towards the horse only to slip and fall beneif his foe and his pride only rewarded with the ever lasting spay pf untination. Dalamon was most un amused.
ric_777
ric_777

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down