Games Night
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bows and Crossbows

5 posters

Go down

Bows and Crossbows Empty Bows and Crossbows

Post  Versago Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:32 am

Mike pointed out to me that there is a whole section in the WoD Armoury book on ranged combat, more specifically bows and crossbows. After having a quick read I realise that I've been playing the role of archer completely wrong! Here is some of the info I've been neglecting and hopefully anyone who may want to pick up a bow may find it useful!

Here's a few useful excerpts from the document, there are some parts that I don't fully understand so hopefully someone can help (see: Armoury book page 90 for more info):

Bow/Crossbow
  • A bow’s short Range is equal to triple the shooter’s Strength + Size + Athletics. The medium range is double the short and the long range is double the medium e.g. 10/20/40
  • A bow’s base Damage is equal to its minimum Strength (not sure i understand what is meant by this??)
  • A character may use either Athletics or Firearms to fire a bow/crossbow. (no mention of dexterity??)
  • “Reloading” a bow/crossbow takes one action.
  • Every crossbow has the Armor Piercing effect: 2 for a normal crossbow, 1 for a hand crossbow or repeating crossbow

Arrows
Of course there are different kinds of arrows in the game but they seem to have a cost but I'm not sure how that works? here are a few from the book.

• Standard Target Arrows - wooden shafts tipped with simple metal cones. Such projectiles are not designed for combat and inflict minimal injury. Standard target arrows have Cost •.
  • Broadhead hunting arrows - Tipped with an Xshaped razor-edged point designed to drive deep into flesh and sever arteries. A bow firing such an arrow gains +1 Damage and Armor Piercing 2 against a target with no or soft ballistic armor. Against a solid target or a character with rigid armor, the arrow instead suffers a –2 penalty to Damage. Broadhead arrows have Cost •.
  • Flint or obsidian arrowheads - Gain +1 Damage against a target with no armor but a –2 penalty against a hard or armored target. A character may make archaic arrows with six hours’ work and a successful Dexterity + Survival roll: each success yields one arrow.
  • Bodkin points - Appeared in the Middle Ages in response to the proliferation of metal armor among archers’ intended targets. These were needle-pointed arrowheads with square crosssections that could drive through plate armor or six inches of oak. A bow firing a bodkin arrow gains Armor Piercing 4 and its Ranges are increased by half again. Can be created (Intelligence + Crafts roll, each success yields one bodkin point).

Versago
Versago

Back to top Go down

Bows and Crossbows Empty Re: Bows and Crossbows

Post  Sim Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:06 am

Maybe my stolen bow will come in handy after all!
Sim
Sim
Admin

https://gamesnight.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ric_777 Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:07 am

Dalamon does not know what to with a bow.. never mind maybe a few failed attempes if he finds one lol XD
ric_777
ric_777

Back to top Go down

Post  MatWithOneT Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:29 am

You roll dexteraty + athletics or firearms.
MatWithOneT
MatWithOneT

Back to top Go down

Post  Versago Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 pm

MatWithOneT wrote:You roll dexteraty + athletics or firearms.

Thanks Matt that makes more sense.

I'm also toying with the idea of limiting my arrows. This will force me to be a bit more creative with my character.
Versago
Versago

Back to top Go down

Post  ace_skoot Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:38 am

Versago wrote:
MatWithOneT wrote:You roll dexteraty + athletics or firearms.

Thanks Matt that makes more sense.

I'm also toying with the idea of limiting my arrows. This will force me to be a bit more creative with my character.

don't forget your character will be progressing through the story, and anyone can pick something up and hit something with it, you only get better by trying, and there are other characters who can give tips, it also helps our character interact and get to know eachother better Smile
ace_skoot
ace_skoot

Back to top Go down

Post  MatWithOneT Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 am

Just found out the athletics roll is for non normal throwing objects, like a rock or a bottle. Which kind of makes sense cos you would use more of your knowledge of firearms (projectiles) on a bow and more on your physical ability on a rock or something.
MatWithOneT
MatWithOneT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum